10 Jul 7 Benefits of a Healthy Company
In Rieusset, continuous improvement is a key value in our mission as a company, and when applied to the personnel area, continuous improvement has led us to work on the 7 Benefits of a Healthy Company.
What is a Healthy Company?
The concept of a Healthy Company arises from a work environment in which the workforce and management participate in a process of continuous improvement in order to promote and protect people’s health, safety and well-being.
It is about converting the workplace into a comfortable and pleasant place in order to deal with everyday work.
When we start to look for information we discover that Healthy Company certification is available through AENOR consistent with the Healthy Company model. The objective of the model is promoting and protecting the health, safety and well-being of employees with regard to:
- the physical and psycho-social work environment
- health resources
- the company’s participation within the community.
Furthermore, the WHO (World Health Organization) defines health as “a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disorders or illnesses.” There must be an adequate state and balance between the various dimensions that make up well-being.
What do we want to achieve in Rieusset?
Our short-term goal is not so much being certified as a healthy company, but rather becoming a company that promotes the healthy habits of its employees.
The basic reasoning that leads us to work on this is the conviction that the people that make up our organization are its most important value, and as such we want to work with them based on a comprehensive approach (not just from the point of view of the employee but also from the point of view of the person) where we can also incorporate their well-being as an element of identity.
We are concerned about some of the results obtained in the occupational medicine report corresponding to 2016, since some of these result in absenteeism and the subsequent cost that this represents. We are convinced that working on a project that promotes a healthy lifestyle will give us great benefits.
We consider that investing in our workers’ well-being has a direct return for the company, since through this, absenteeism decreases and people’s motivation increases, which affects the development of the organization’s activity.
What benefits can we obtain if we apply the healthy company model?
Among others we emphasize the following:
- Fewer leaves of absence due to illness, thus a lower absenteeism rate
- Increase in personal satisfaction
- Less staff turnover
- Reduction of work-related accidents
- Greater productivity
- Improvement of the Company’s image
- Improvement of the health and well-being of the employees
What actions are we carrying out and what are we planning to do for it?
We are acting in different aspects that facilitate the development of this well-being:We have created an action group that encourages us to participate in different activities with the goal of a kinder, friendlier and more cooperative Rieusset … one that is ultimately happier.
- We have created an action group that encourages us to participate in different activities with the goal of a kinder, friendlier and more cooperative Rieusset … one that is ultimately happier
- We have contracted the service of a physiotherapist to help us prevent possible muscular injuries.
- We are planning to carry out campaigns to sensitize and make people more aware of the importance of monitoring their cholesterol and high blood pressure.
- In the future, we are also considering the possibility of giving workshops to foster good nutrition, physical exercise, the importance of sleep, stress management, mindfulness, self-confidence …
- One of the campaigns that we will carry out in September centers on sensitizing people to maintaining good eating habits in order to have a healthy lifestyle. We will make people aware of the benefits of healthy eating and we will encourage the Mediterranean diet as well as having an active lifestyle as opposed to a sedentary one.
The road to being certified as a Healthy Company may be long, but what is clear to us is that we want to go down it, knowing that we will have to get over some stones in the way but looking forward to jumping over them, in order to enjoy the journey, because the goal is to feel good about ourselves.
We encourage you to accompany us on this road. Are you up for it?